An exclusive magazine offer every Thursday
This week's offer
Thursday 8 December to Sunday 11 December
Issue 95, Winter 2016
Published in Arkansas
RRP $15.95 / £12.85 / €15.04
to the UK, US and Europe
About this week's magazine
Founded in Oxford, Mississippi in 1992, Oxford American is a nonprofit literary magazine dedicated to documenting the vitality and complexity of the American South. Since 1997, they have published their Southern Music issue every year, which comes with a coveted CD curated by the editors.
We're thrilled to be offering their 18th annual music issue — titled Visions of the Blues, it's packed with great writing that ranges from the Alabama Shakes to Francis Bacon and Tokyo's thriving blues scene. And with its 23-track CD, you'll be able to put your feet up this holiday season and immerse yourself in the world of Southern Blues.
In this issue:
- The power of blues women’s duets, from Geeshie Wiley and Elvie Thomas to Lauryn Hill and Mary J. Blige, discussed by Daphne Brooks
- Amanda Petrusich encounters a real, thriving blues scene in a place far from its source in the American South: Tokyo, Japan
- Singer-songwriter Bonnie Raitt’s journey of artistic formation, and the moment of transition when, on the cusp of turning 40, she had a mainstream breakthrough with Nick of Time
- Zandria F. Robinson—the daughter of a Memphis-born mother and a Delta-raised father—reflects on the music her father loved
- A fictional meeting between Jimi Hendrix and artist Francis Bacon in London during Hendrix’s years there, as imagined by Jeffery Renard Allen
- And John Jeremiah Sullivan, Southern editor of the Paris Review, mines his hometown Louisville, Kentucky's blues history
Sounds good? Order your copy
Free delivery to the UK, US and Europe
How Sampler works
Sign up to the weekly email and be first to hear about our offers
- How can I pay for magazines?
We take payment in sterling, euros and dollars, and accept all major debit cards, credit cards and PayPal.
- How will I know my purchase has been completed?
You will automatically receive an email to confirm that your payment has been received and processed. If you’re unsure whether a payment has been made, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
- Can I subscribe to Sampler?
No - Sampler is intended as a quick and easy way to buy the world’s best independent magazines with no commitments. If you’d like to buy magazines by subscription, take a look at our Stack monthly subscription service.
- Do you offer international delivery?
We can deliver magazines to you anywhere in the world. Shipping is free to the UK, Europe and USA, and is subsidised for the rest of the world. Simply select your country from the drop down menu when you make your purchase and any shipping cost will be automatically displayed.
- When will my magazine be sent to me?
Magazines on Sampler often go on sale before they’re available to buy in the shops - or even before they've been printed. Your magazine will be sent to you as soon as it arrives at our mailing house, but that may be a few weeks after you make your purchase. We will keep you updated on the progress of your magazine as it is dispatched so you’ll know when to expect it, but if you have any questions please just drop us a line.
- Once my magazine is ready, how long will it take to reach me?
The shipping time will depend on where in the world your magazine is printed. We’ll always try to make sure your magazine takes the fastest route to your door, but as a rough guide, shipping times from our UK mailing house are as follows:
UK: Next day
Western Europe: 3-5 working days
Rest of world: 5-7 working days
- What if my magazine doesn’t arrive?
If you’re concerned that your magazine may be delayed or lost, please contact us to check on its progress. In the event of a magazine being lost, we will refund your purchase in full.
- Can I buy a magazine for somebody else?
You certainly can. Simply provide their name and address information in the delivery section when you make your purchase and we’ll send the magazine out to them as soon as it's ready.
- Why do you have so few copies available?
As the name suggests, Sampler is a way to try new things. We hope you love the service, but we have a limited number of copies available because we don’t want to become the way you buy all your magazines! If Sampler helps you find your new favourite magazine, your best bet is to buy direct from the publisher in future, or from your local magazine shop.
- How can I have my magazine considered for Sampler?
If you’d like to have your magazine considered for Sampler, send us an email with the details and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.
- Who runs Sampler?
Sampler is run by Stack director Steven Watson. Stack delivers a different independent magazine to thousands of subscribers all around the world every month, and Sampler was created to help even more people discover the best new publishing. Find out more about Stack and subscribe to our monthly magazine deliveries at the Stack site.
We’d love to hear what you think to Sampler. If you have any questions or comments about the service, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.